Tuesday 12 April 2011

First Chapter = Blah - Individual post #1

If I could change something about the novel, I would either take out the first chapter, or, as a better idea, I would include it as a prologue, or an intro, or something. I just think that if the book didn't have the first chapter, it would just flow so much better. Also, I probably would've been more interested in the book from the beginning. I was really interested in the book around the time that they got to Dresden, but in the beginning, I thought it was too slow. The first chapter is what did it. I was halfway through the first chapter thinking "what is this? I thought this was a story... but OK, he's just going to talk about writing it I guess...". I know Vonnegut put it in on purpose, because he likes to show his cards at the beginning... but this was just taking it too far. It was like watching the "Making Of" featurette before watching the actual movie. It just completely takes away from the book. I think it would just be much better as an introduction to the book, or a prologue, something to separate it from the actual story of Billy Pilgrim. Maybe someone else thought the first chapter was amazing or something, but for me it just tainted the rest of the book, I kept expecting the rest of the book to be dull, so that's the way I read it. Dull. At least things picked up in the end.

By: Rachel Cutler

No comments:

Post a Comment